Monday, December 29, 2014

#MicroblogMonday - Reflections on the Year 2014


  • 2014 started off in a slump. I wrote this post in the hopes that we would be matched soon after the start of the year.
  • It slumped further with our second failed match.
  • Even though I had my own grief over failed matches to process, I decided to go see this documentary with some other transracial adoptive families. It was eye-opening, and educating, and I'm so glad that I got to hear Angela Tucker answer questions from the audience.
  • Becoming more frustrated with the wait and my deteriorating relationship with my parents, I took back Mother's Day. S, X and I went to a local hot springs for the weekend and enjoyed some family play time. Oh, and I turned 40.
  • I got deep into therapy finally reaching the crux of my issues, which has turned out to be good (and bad). As I navigate through this holiday season, I've been annoyed with my family, but there have been no meltdowns on my part, just conversations with S expressing my annoyance.
  • A phone call came in June
  • The wait within the wait was excruciating and well documented here, herehere, here, here
  • And then her due date came and went.
  • Finally, we found ourselves grabbing a change of clothes and taking off for the hospital to welcome Baby Z into our family. 
  • Now we are looking forward to finalization.  My infertility is not resolved and never will be, but that has faded into the background.  There's a colossal shift happening here in my space. I'm no longer a struggling infertile woman. I'm an infertile mother of children I have/am adopting. I will keep on writing here because this has always been my space to unleash. Besides, I'm too lazy to start another blog. :)



5 comments:

  1. I'd agree that adopting a child did not resolve my infertility issues - every now and then the issue comes and taps me on my shoulder but parenting certainly did heal my tired heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're staying put. But wow, what a year when you see it written out like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO glad to have gotten caught up here today! Much love to you and your family in the coming year.xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous year-in-review. I'm smiling ear to ear!

    I hope 2015 brings us together a few times :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't that shift interesting? I find myself in the same place - my Infertility isn't resolved, but my family building most likely is, and it's such a different feeling...

    ReplyDelete