Naming this baby is beyond difficult. Three years ago, this is what our refrigerator looked like:
Most of these names have now been placed firmly in the No category. Some of these I don't like, or he doesn't like, or we both don't like. So, this list is kaput, gone, start over.
As we've delved into other names, it seems to go like this: Me: What about Damian? S: NO. Me: What about Finn? S: NO.
Yeah.
I've turned to Duana on Lainey Gossip for inspiration. I've combed through lots of her back articles, looking for boys names, and I've even submitted a question to her in hopes that she answers it. It's helped give me some ideas to present to S.
I've also gotten crazy on Nameberry. Searching through lists, trying names on for size. Wondering if I would condemn a kid to a life of teasing or "ew". There's a list now, maybe there's a name in there? I have one that has stuck in my head since I first considered it, and now I'm thinking of the theoretical baby as ______. Every other name I come across is a second or third, or....yeah, no. S doesn't have a favorite. I think he's waiting to meet the baby before he really lands on a name. At least I hope that's the reason he can't seem to form an opinion.
I wonder if it would have been easier if I had been pregnant and we spent several months considering names, vs. being on the hook for a phone call that we may have a baby soon.

Nope, not easier in pregnancy. I wrote a huge name post halfway through my second. I had a ridiculous number of criteria. Thankfully two names fit them all, but they weren't decided on until just prior to birth and right after. I have no idea what we would have ended up with had we had two sons. Lol!
ReplyDeleteI really like one of the names on your list. I think you should go with that. ;-)
Haha. Lemme guess...
DeleteAgreed, not easier if you have 9 months to prepare either. If Stella had been born a boy, she would have been "Baby Boy S" b/c we did NOT have a boy name picked out, even at the end. Names are so hard!!
ReplyDeleteNames are so hard. We had the perfect boy name chosen and had mostly narrowed it down on girl names (for the 6 year old) and then when she was born we just went with the top choice with no further discussion because things got a bit too exciting. Then we had to try to replace our hard-to-find-in-the-first-place girl name and lo and behold, the second baby girl shows up. I think there's nothing wrong with meeting a baby before deciding on a name. No rush.
ReplyDeleteI've discovered the same about names, and we haven't even gotten pregnant yet! Every one of them reminds me of someone I don't like or thee combination of sounds is ugly or it's tease-worthy or it's too popular. Ugh.
ReplyDeleteHave you looked up the meanings of the names you have chosen? I always find that so interesting from a psychological point of view. I often ask people what the meaning of their name is and most of the time, they have never bothered to look. It can make for a lovely story one day for the reason why you chose that name for them. Wishing you so much strength at this intense time!
ReplyDelete