Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Kicking off ICLW

Hey ICLW'ers,

If you're new to my blog here's the lowdown...and a little bit of a brain dump

My husband (S) and I are going to celebrate our 8th wedding anniversary this year. About 7 years ago we laughed at our friends who got pregnant right away after getting married and figured we had all the time in the world. So, one trip to France, one new house, one master's degree, one Professional Engineering license, and two jobs later...we decided to TTC. Of course we started at a time which would guarantee I wouldn't be 8 months pregnant in August because that sucks. Boy howdy is that funny now! A year later I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility. Like seriously, no fucking clue why I wasn't getting pregnant. We did 3 IUI's before deciding to adopt. Currently we're on a list and have been waiting over 9 months (see ticker on my sidebar that I have because I'm maso.chistic that way) for a match.

It's been a rough ride emotionally which has affected all other aspects of my life. Getting excited about anything is really tough these days. We took one last big vacation last November to the Carrib.bean and lo and behold, we get to take another one last big vacation this summer since we're moving up the list rather slowly. The funny thing about the one last big vacation is people with kids are kind of jealous that we can still take off and do this stuff, but we'd trade the chance to fly anywhere in the world just to have a baby.

We are so ready.

12 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about the vacation envy. We went to CZ for IVF last year for 3 weeks. Since we didn't tell most people that we were going for IVF I had a few friends expound continuously about how lucky we were to travel to amazing places since we had no kids.... needless to say, I was not amused!

    ICLW
    http://daega99-arewethereyet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm visiting for ICLW. We just took our "last big vacation" in February before our "last ditch" IVF before setting out on the adoption road. Needless to say, I'm thinking of other vacation spots for next year and plotting when we should try our next "last" IVF.

    I'm curious about moving up the list. How does that work with your agency? We haven't yet signed with an agency, but here they don't have lists with movement. We would be on the family roster and presented when we meet the birthparent criteria. It could be the first day - it could be never. Just wondering...

    ReplyDelete
  3. grrr... those 'enjoy it while you can' comments suck! My Beloved and I went to NYC last fall and everyone kept reminding me that we wouldn't be able to do that if we had kids. Like I wouldn't give up a trip in exchange for a living breathing baby?

    sorry for the rant... I guess I just over-identified.

    ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we were TTC, I ordered a bridesmaid dress 4 sizes too big because I was SURE I was going to be several months pregnant come her wedding. I have found that I HAVE to keep a sense of humor about it all. BTW, we took "a last" vacation to Costa Rica in January and I am trying to convince DH that we have time for another one ($ for another one is a different story!), I don't think he's biting though...
    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'll get your phone call out of the blue...you really will...and it will be the best day ever!

    Adoption made my family too!

    happy ICLW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh the vacation days.... we've had em girl and are so ready too. hopefully they will be over soon, or at least a break and then we can take our kids along. maybe one more soon though to the red sea. best wishes on moving up on that list and soon. happy iclw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hang in there and I love your masochistic ticker. Great blog, can't wait to read more. I'm your newest follower from IComLeavWe.

    -K
    http://mypottyseat.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope your wait for a match doesn't go on much longer!

    I'm glad I found another engineering couple through ICLW! Best wishes on your adoption journey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Masochistic? Nah... just the anticipated hopefulness of someone who understands IF :) My husband and I recently decided to adopt, so I hope you don't mind another follower. Best of luck to you, and I hope that match comes soon!
    Happy ICLW!
    ~Miriam (ICLW #29)
    http://hannahweptsarahlaughed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh isn't that soooo true about trading in the trips for a baby!! I hope your wait isn't much longer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wishing you all the best as you wait for your referral. I know how difficult that wait can be but here's hoping it won't be much longer for you.

    Happy iclw, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can relate to your story. The waiting is hard isn't it. We'll both get our calls unexpectedly and then we'll be able to laugh about the whole thing. Good luck.

    Happy ICLW

    ReplyDelete