PREGO
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
Enough hilarity...
Yesterday morning at 5:10am I was woken up by my phone ringing. It was the 6am instructor who got hit by a stomach bug and there was no way she'd be able to teach, you know, unless she could run to the bathroom every 10 minutes which isn't so conducive to a Jaz.zercise class. So, being the good, dependable friend that I am, I dragged myself out of bed and taught the class for her. In class was a woman I haven't seen for several months, who, as it turns out is pregnant. This is after being told her FSH levels are so high she shouldn't even use her own eggs on an IVF cycle, or if she did she had a 5% chance of success and naturally she had a 1% chance of success. They were still temping/timing, had just gotten through the fertility work-up and as it turns out proved her RE totally wrong. So that was pretty cool, and I couldn't be annoyed when she pulled out the "Who knows, bam, you might get pregnant after you adopt" because statistically I have a better chance of getting pregnant naturally than she did.
This leads me to a question....why is it that the 1%'ers are the ones who end up conceiving naturally? A friend of mine was told she had virtually no chance due to cysts and endo and whatever else could cram itself into her reproductive area. She got pregnant about 6 months into their adoption wait. I think my chances are something like 5-10%. We aren't TTC, I'm just always curious about these stories, and they hardly start with, "The doctor couldn't figure out what was wrong..." Usually there's a reason found for the infertility and then the couple beats all odds.
I got Momma the other day - I'm taking it a sign. I need signs.
ReplyDeleteI think it's great that those women were able to prove the doctors wrong, it gives those 1% people some hope!
ICLW #119
http://lovelyladybump.blogspot.com/
It does give the 1%'ers hope but then leaves me wondering WTF. I don't have anything obviously wrong with me so I have a higher chance yet it didn't work out? huh.
ReplyDeleteSo far I've been on the opposite end of those types of stats. "Unexplained infertility- no reason you shouldn't conceive; x% of couples like you conceive after 2 IUIs; y% of couples like you conceive after 2 IVFs; your betas are great- only 10% of people like you miscarry; you've seen a heartbeat, only 3% of people like you miscarry." Yeah, well. Guess what. Pppbblltt
ReplyDeleteI'm a math teacher, so I've been looking at statistics this whole time. At this point, I'm just throwing those statistics out the window. *sigh*
And why is it that even though statistics DON'T show that many women get pregnant after adopting EVERYONE seems to have a story about a friend who adopted and then got pregnant?
ReplyDeleteI adopted. My son is 19 months old. What is my "BAM, I'm pregnant" moment waiting for? Perhaps I need a doctor to give it an official low percent chance of occurrence to goad it into rebellion.
(Insert Ralphie Rant here)
~Jill
We're dealing with unexplained IF and it suckes...I wholly agree with you and I think maybe if the odds were even more stacked against me, I might actually conceive because it does seem like the most unlikely cases are the ones who get knocked up.
ReplyDeleteICLW
"Ralphie Rant"...I love it!
ReplyDeleteIt does give me hope to hear stories...but I'm still jealous.
ReplyDeleteVisiting from ICLW. I look forward to getting to know you better through our blogs! :)
http://myinfertilitydiaries.blogspot.com/
ICLW - Yeah, waited for my miracle for years - alas, no victory TTC story for me. Oh well, I don't pee when I sneeze either.
ReplyDeleteOh I hear you on the statistics. So far i've always been at the wrong side of the stats. " ectopic pregnancies both after IVF...what are the chances?? And yet...
ReplyDeleteSo I've actually stopped looking at my chances so that I don't scared myself :o)
Much love, Fran
ICLW #71
Maybe they become pregnant because they kind of let go of these chances, stress is less of a factor, they don't expect to get pregnant. The fiancé of an ex became pregnant and had less than a 10% chance of conceiving and they just told themselves, bof we'll see. She had ovarian cancer (?) when she was young. And ta-daaaa. Maybe it's just that.
ReplyDeleteStatistics are just a bunch of numbers--and they are wrong all the time. Both ways.
ReplyDeleteIf my daughter via adoption gets to be a big sister because I miraculously get pregnant, it's because that she was supposed to come first. We would never have been blessed with her if I conceived on my own to begin with. Just my opinion.
Happy ICLW!