Thursday, April 16, 2015

The After

This has been a week of funk.  I went to Vegas for a Jazzercise meeting last weekend, which was really fun and informative, but about as laid back as you can get for Vegas! No staying out late, no pina coladas by the pool, no drunken great ideas, no gambling. I'm too tired for that these days, and so was my roommate. In fact, I'd be ok if I didn't go back to visit Vegas like...ever. It made me feel old.

Since I got back I've been feeling....off. I've been staying up too late drinking wine, don't want to do anything responsible and have that want to run away from it all feeling.

I want a vacation with S, no kids.

I knew we were in survival mode once Baby Z was placed with us. It's what happens when kidlet #2 comes along. It's universal. I signed up for a book club that's happening the beginning of May, and here is is April and I couldn't tell you which book we're reading. (maybe I should get on that)

That's how life is these days - one long day of feeling like I can't keep up. But that's not all.

I feel unmoored, directionless. What now? I've spent most of my married life trying to have kids (and that's saying something considering we were married 5 years before we even tried to get pregnant). Now that there's no paperwork, no social workers, no fingerprinting, no saving money for adoption, no decisions on fertility treatments, I don't even know how to feel. Sure I was elated at Baby Z's finalization hearing. It was over. It was all over. S and I toasted several times that day (and went to work with headaches the following day). I couldn't wipe the grin off my face. WE WERE DONE.

But there was something lurking in the background. Probably most telling - I didn't even blog about the day.

That lurker is hitting now, and it's a major letdown. We've done it! We've achieved our goal! We have a family of four! NOW WHAT?

Mixed in with the news of our triumph over infertility, and all the heartache/headache that went into getting to this point is news of tragedy. A distant cousin lost his life to addiction. A co-worker lost his wife to cancer. An on-line friend I've known since my Fertility Friend days is battling stage 4 breast cancer. A friend's acquaintance dropped dead while he was running. S's grandmother had to be moved to a nursing home and it's all a huge mess. This week, I feel like all that's left is the slow decline of health and well-being. I am old enough that my peers are dying. The co-worker's wife was 46 and healthy until she wasn't. My Fertility Friend friend is 44 and had Hodgkins in her 20's. The friend's acquaintance was 32 and no one knows what/why.

Logically, I know S and I have many years ahead of us. There are no major issues in our families. No cancer running rampant, no heart disease, and both of us had stress tests done in our 30's. We both get regular physicals (thanks to the requirements of adoption...) and have many years to look forward to.

But, now that I've fought so hard for my kids, and I mean fought emotionally through infertility diagnosis, through the tough adoption path, through failed matches...I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Why am I waiting for a tragedy? Why am I scared?

Why am I depressed?

It's not like I feel like this is the end. In many ways this is a beginning. We can get on with the task of raising children. We look forward to the crazy days of activities and planning around their schedules. S loves getting X out on a bike and riding around.  I can't wait to road trip to National Parks, to show them what I do for work. To take them on tours of dams. To bore the crap out of them...OMG, to take them to the mecca DISNEY. (my parents never took us, so I cannot wait to see it through my kids eyes).

I am ridiculously excited to study the similarities and differences between our two boys since nurture/nature has a special meaning in our family.

So, why is it that right now at this moment, I am feeling so out of sorts and out of touch and scared?

11 comments:

  1. Girl, I feel ya! It's like you trained for years for a marathon and you finished it. But what do you do now that it's over? Nowhere to run, nothing to train for. It took me a good 18 months to get past that. I'm seeing good things in our future now that the family building is behind us. Taking cool family vacations with out kids, doing more with them without fearing a melt-down--not there yet, but inching closer. Having a baby/toddler really ties you down to a routine. I'm looking forward to a day when we can do more spontaneous things as a family. Right now we collapse in a heap on the couch at the end of the day not wanting to do a thing. But I'm getting glimpses of what life will be like when they are a little older and I am so excited about what that will bring.

    You'll get there too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Err...that should say cool family vacations with OUR kids...not with out kids. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugs - I can only imagine how anticlimactic this all is! I think this is really pretty normal and eventually will normalize - I mean, this is post partum/baby stuff - even if you didn't physically have the baby, this is still valid diagnosis for you! I hope your therapist (if you have one) is able to help you through this low!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's sort of like planning a wedding (only a much longer process). There's an actual condition that some brides go through. They spend a year or more planning for the Day and then the Day is gone and they don't have anything to obsess over anymore so they get depressed or find themselves in a funk. Like you said, you've spent so much time planning and trying to have this family and now you do so...what's next? It's perfectly normal and understandable. Having small children is tough because there's only so much you can do with them while trying to work around naps and meals and short attention spans. You will long for these days of "what's next" when you don't have time to breathe between activities, play dates, homework and family adventures. :-) Babyhood and Toddlerhood can get very drab and predictable. I'm trying not to rush my girl but it gets hard because there's so many things I want to DO. Lol I remind myself that she won't start to have lasting memories until she's 4 or 5 so it's better to just ride in the slow lane until then. Hang in there, things will change before you even realize they are changing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting you brought that up. Before my wedding I read "The Conscious Bride" because I was bound and determined to remember my wedding and put it in it's proper place. But, I still went through a post-wedding funk/depression. This totally feels the same!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you and can relate. Hang in there, it will pass.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear ya sister. Now what, right? Here we are, crossed (crossing in my case) the finish line, and it feels impossible to be ... content. To just exist. Because we've fought so damn hard all these years. And now what?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now the real adventure begins!

    You will find your way. I know it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am always expecting the other shoe too. IF did a number on me, but I think I was predisposed to be that way anyway. I hope you find a way to drown out that voice and enjoy the things you've been looking forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yep, you're not alone feeling this way...

    ReplyDelete