Monday, February 2, 2015

#MicroblogMonday - Counting Down

I go back to work in 3 weeks. In 2 weeks, we start Baby Z in full-time daycare. How the time has flown by! Everyone I meet asks if I love my time off and staying at home. My answer has been yes and no. It's so much busier this time than when I stayed home with X. I took leave starting at the beginning of December, so it was all about the holidays for a month, then my grandfather passed away and that added busy-ness to the schedule as we hosted my brother's family at our house for a few days and had to deal with all that family stuff. Baby Z is older than X was, so he's more work to take care of (newborns are freakin' easy y'all), and he doesn't nap for long periods of time. So, yes, I love that I was able to take this time off and I have kept X home from daycare a few times to go on playdates or just hang out, but at the end of those days I wonder why I bothered because I'm exhausted from wrangling both of them all day by myself. I found myself frustrated by this a few weeks ago, and wondered when my lazy days were going to show up, and then I realized that they aren't. Once or twice a week, I'll have a day with no plans and can laze around the house in my sweats, but it isn't the norm.

Better get used to that.

In good news, if I so choose and we can do it financially, I could go to part time work and my retirement wouldn't be affected. Hooray for taking forever to have kids!!? I guess it allowed us to sock away a lot of savings for retirement, so that's a silver lining.

Don't know what #MicroblogMonday is? Check it out here.

7 comments:

  1. Yeah, we'll be able to retire right on schedule too...just as the kids get out of college. Maybe they'll move back in to take care of us. Lol! At least the house will be paid for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here from Microblog Monday. I'm sure there must be mixed emotions around going back to work. I'm currently freaking out just contemplating leaving my 3 month old with a babysitter for the first time. It's nice that you have flexibility around work hours, too. Feeling like there are options always helps with the stress level! and it is good to be able to save money - very grateful that we did that too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lazy day and taking care of a child do not go together. The image of the parent just lazing about, eating bon bons is so far from reality. It's hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The siren song of part-time...it can be a really nice way to get good parts of both worlds.

    If you do, I wanna come over for bon bons some afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for potential part time! But boo for no bon bons and sweats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Retirement, what's that? I keep trying to get my husband and kid and dog to go away for a weekend - only then I could do some serious lazing! I think it's great that you could do part-time and still be financially okay. Great news!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great news about part time! Ha... Bon bons.

    ReplyDelete