Two engineers get married, delay baby-making and get hit with the unexplained infertility stick. Eight years: multiple failed cycles; 3 failed IUI's; 1 long adoption wait and successful adoption (Baby X); 2nd long adoption wait, 1 failed placement, 1 failed match and finally 1 successful placement (Baby Z). This is my story.
Monday, September 29, 2014
#Microblog Mondays - Life with Baby Z
3 weeks in we are settling in to routine, although I have to admit that my head space is wonky. Baby Z has a similar temperament to Baby X and is pretty easy. He doesn't cry unless he needs a diaper change or food, and while we aren't sure about the formula we're using, he is fussy inconsistently after eating. It's not easy to pin down if the formula is bothering his tummy as two different formulas so far have pretty much yielded the same result. That brings me to another conundrum of organic vs. not organic formula. It's already so processed no matter what that I don't think whether it's organic has any bearing on the final product. I still like to feel like I'm supporting sustainable farming practices, which is really the impetus for buying organic products, so I think we'll stick to the organic formula unless he starts to really have consistent fussiness that seems to be tied to eating.
As for me, I'm not really liking working right now and have had to face that a report I was trying to finish while waiting for Baby Z (and failing, I should add) is hands down the worst representation of my work thus far. The reviewer is frustrated with me, and I'm frustrated with me, and have I mentioned that I left my entire purse at home today? *sigh* I would be down with living in a country where we pay a lot more income tax in order to have a year of maternity leave. That would be the best.
Don't know what #MicroblogMondays is? Check it out at Stirrup Queens here
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I second that - stupid maternity policies. Hope balancing things gets easier for you.
ReplyDeleteI can only imagine working outside the home while taking care of a newborn. Those days feel like such a blur and so hazy I can hardly remember them. I wouldn't want to be responsible for work too. It took me a good 4 months to strike a balance with two kids. Before that fit was pure survival mode!
ReplyDeleteI totally agree re: the maternity leave policies! It's so hard to concentrate on work with a little one at home. I'm glad you're starting to settle into a routine.
ReplyDeleteWe definitely need better maternity and paternity leave in this country!
ReplyDeleteI missed the juggling class, too. Never got very good at it (though I've figured out how to remember my purse most days).
ReplyDeleteI wish we had that here too. It feels like there is a big message of "we care about the family!" every election, but very little done in terms of action to give families the space they need to be a family. Work needs to get done too, yes. But other countries are able to give that longer (and I'd say more realistic) leave. How do they do it?
ReplyDelete