Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Being a Multi-Racial Family

I was not prepared for multiracial adoption.  I thought I was prepared, but that was a blissful bubble of ignorance.  We were at least smart enough to be careful about what we were getting into.  Some situations are too fraught with past injustices for us to step into that whirling maelstrom of scrutiny and judgment.  By the way, do you know how uncomfortable it is to realize you aren’t up for the challenge?  To say out loud “I don’t want to be this type of family?”

Here’s where the blissful bubble of ignorance popped.  Even though we knew for sure that we really did not want to deal with a certain kind of situation, we thought other situations would be much easier to navigate.  It will be, to some extent, but Baby X will still face discrimination of which S and I have never experienced.

We find ourselves thinking about how we will navigate cultural and racial issues.  Stepping outside our comfort zones is stressing me out, as it does most introverts.  The past couple of weeks as I’ve listened to podcasts on transracial adoption, and dived into an adoption parenting book, I’ve been in a buzzy state of anxiety.

There’s already been a couple of weird incidents that I felt ill-equipped to handle.  I don’t mind when people straight-up ask what ethnicity Baby X is.  I see it as genuine curiosity especially when it’s asked in a sensitive way.  What I mind is when I hear this “Oh, he has such beautiful skin, his skin is beautiful just like his mom’s”.  I’m not dark, but I tan easily (I have my Lebanese grandmother to thank for that).  However, that’s the extent of my “ethnicity”.  Otherwise, the Irish takes over my features.  S on the other hand is your average run of the mill Western European blend of ethnicity.  Baby X is not very dark either, but I was offended because I felt like it was a weird backing into trying to figure out what ethnicity he is without asking.  And, I find it weird to get the “he looks like you”.  I think that goes back to adoption though.  This particular exchange was between me and someone who knows we are adopting.  It’s like people think they have to find some surficial similarity between me and my kid.  Is this something that I’m supposed to get over and accept?  How do you respond to it?  I’m not even going to share my response because it was embarrassing.  Totally not how you’re supposed to respond I’m guessing.

Within our own families, there’s a underlying color-blindness that I’m finding infuriating.  But, I guess they don’t really matter, since Baby X lives with us.  The doting grandparents can just be doting grandparents who will never get it, and probably won’t even try.  It’s what S and I do that counts.

Enough for now, I’m finding it pretty difficult to write about this.  I think I’ve been working on this post for 6 weeks!

Here’s a couple references that I’m finding helpful and eye-opening:
 -  Inside Transracial Adoption  by Gail Steinberg and Beth Hall
-  Creating a Family podcasts.  If you haven’t checked these out yet, they’re awesome.  Dawn covers all kinds of issues ranging from infertility, ART, embryo adoption, adoption, transracial adoption, open adoption and many more.  The link to her website and blog are on my side-bar.

6 comments:

  1. Being part of a multicultural family myself, I'm not surprised by the amount of ignorance out there. However, I am amazed at the things some people say. As a child I always felt like my family was normal and didn't really understand how we were any different from any other. It's interesting looking at it from the adoptive parent perspective (as opposed to a child with an adopted sibling) though. I find myself frustrated with my in-laws for not getting things too. I think many people just don't get things they have no experience with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read about it a lot and it is really eye opening isn't it. I am sure it hits a whole other level though when you are confronted about it as I am sure it makes you more emotional as you grow to love Baby X. Wishing you lots of good vibes as you navigate the process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you wrote about this. Some days I feel so overwhelmed trying to compensate for and come to terms with being a different family (adoptive/trnsculture/transracial). We have a bio kid too so I know what it feels like to be "normal" and where the differences emerge. Frankly, it has also made me think a lot about what it means to be "white," and I'm seeing all kinds of things I hadn't before. I LOVE creating a family, and try to do as much reading on multi-cultural families as possible, but sometimes I just need to take a break and digest it all. I think finding ways to meet other families like you is super important, and you have time to do this - your baby is still an infant! I'm sorry all the comments you are getting are so uncomfortable. Sounds like your protective instincts are kicking in, though, and while you can't make everything right for your baby, I think caring about/talking about/trying to find support goes a long way...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am reading the book, Does Anybody else look like me by Donna Jackson Nakazawa. It awesome, all about multiracial families and how to talk to children through the years about identity and race. It might be a good one to add to your list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You might want to wander through this blog - http://peterscrossstation.wordpress.com/ - they're raising two little girls who aren't the same race they are, and they have a lot of good ideas about that. We're looking at this right now (with any luck we'll have that "problem" within a month or so!) and I've been reading this family's journey for quite a while. Some of it may not be applicable, but the overall ideas should be good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard to figure out the "best" way because within my lifetime there have been two polar opposite messages: (1) that color doesn't matter; we are all equal; and (2) embrace diversity!

    And the answer is probably a generous portions of both.

    I presented at an OA Symposium recently with Judy Miller, who also writes on this subject. She's at http://theinternationalmom.wordpress.com/. She has a new e-book about parenting adopted teens, which is more where I am now than you (yikes! but not quite).

    ReplyDelete