Now that we've been told things are moving along and we're pretty close to being profiled, I've found that I'm super antsy. S and I had a little discussion about what we're most scared of at this point.
His: The first meeting with an expectant mother.
Mine: What the hell do I do with a baby?
Yep, a little bit of a disconnect. I seem to have skipped over a few intermediate steps.
We dragged out the baby names book (we bought a small one because it's just way to overwhelming) last night with a bottle of wine. That was entertaining. Unfortunately S's favorite girl name would be like a Jennifer in our generation it's so darn popular. And...our favorite boy name is also a problem. Friends of ours named their kid our favorite boy name so me being the paranoid freak that I am is afraid to also use it. The last thing I need is teasing that we stole the name from them which is wholly untrue. After all, we're the infertile ones, we've been thinking of names for years. But, no one will see it that way and I'll get mad and skewer any of my friends who even hint that we stole the name. Probably not the way to go.
Name your child what you want to!! My bro and sis-in-law named their child practically the same as our top girls name. The only difference was that the first name they chose was a nickname of the name we like. The middle name was the same. Neither of us knew what the other was thinking, it was just happenstance. It totally sucks, but I am so over it. DH and I will name our child whatever we want. Good luck!!
ReplyDeleteOne of our favorite names was used years ago by my sister's sister-in-law. We are trying to decide if our nieces and nephews can have two cousins with the same name!
ReplyDeleteI found the baby names this on the SS index a good tool. I didn't want anything too common. I also thought the free baby name generators were kind of fun. We didn't tell anyone (other than the birthmom) the name we picked. No one is going to make rude comments about the name after it's on the baby...before it's attached to a face though!
ReplyDeleteHOpe the profiling happens soon!!
This is too funny. I actually ran all of our names through the social security administration database because I am a Jennifer and didn't wish that popularity on my child. I loved the name Sophia for years, but, had to eliminate due to the popularity factor. It's hard finding a good one!
ReplyDeleteAhh...the name thing. Such an important task, since the person will spend the rest of their lives with it. I wish my parents had put a little more creativity into my name. *sigh* I'm a "Jennifer" of the 70s too...
ReplyDeleteTotally normal! I was a bit worried about the meeting with the bm, but then, we never ended up having one. You just never know...Antsy isn't a bad thing - it's an exciting time and you never know what's around the corner! Also, picking out baby names ahead of time is a MUST - we didn't have any boy names picked out and had to decide on one over night! Take care and enjoy the ride :-)
ReplyDeleteI think it is totally normal to jump ahead and start thinking and stressing over things to come. My hubby and I certainly have done that! I also think you should name your baby what you want...it is your kid, and who knows what will happen down the road with your friends.
ReplyDeleteSO right there with you. We actually picked names the first weekend we got in the pool - I was stressing about it and just wanted it done. I SO hope the family that chooses us loves the name we are thinking of (one for a boy and one for a girl). Right now, I am not too worried about anyone else picking our names but that is only after several others that have been swimming around in my head as favorites over the years have now become either WAY popular or choosen my my circle of friends and family... We are number 12 for the past two months. I don't know whether to stress/get excited that it is right around the corner or to continue to steel myself for a potentially long wait still...
ReplyDeleteWell...I've always loved the name "Jack". Almost 2 years ago we adopted a cat who was already named..."Jack". So now, if we have a boy and name him Jack, people will think we named him after the cat. Yeah...not so much. It's kinda funny though. Name your babe with a name you both love. Who cares about the other stuff. Just don't name it after your dog. That would be weird. ;-) Heh.
ReplyDelete