Tuesday, March 17, 2015

I Took a Week off Twit.ter

Since I've joined Twi.tter, two things have happened:
1) I fall behind on blog reading
2) I don't blog as much myself

Number 2 can be attributed to many factors like parenting 2 kids, working full time, staying present in what's going on around me IRL. So, maybe it's not just my chirping.

Number 1 is directly related to my activity on that site. I find myself trying to stay abreast of the activity on there as it's so fluid that it's easy to miss an interesting conversation. Often, I find myself commenting on conversations that ran their course the day prior, but I still want to contribute. The other problem I have with it is that because it's so hard to read the damn site, I spend a serious amount of time trying to find all the threads to a conversation.

And, then there's the inevitable "I'm not popular" mantra that I just can't seem to shake. Never mind that many of my other friends put up a number of chirps that no one responds to. When I put something up that I *think* is important or a direct question and get no response, I go to my dark and scary place that I have to talk myself out of. It can happen here too, certain posts generate a lot of comments, and others, that I think are important, don't.

It's different on my blog though, because there have been so many times that I myself have read blog posts and either really felt that I didn't know what to say, or had so much trouble commenting from my phone that I gave up.

Twit.ter is made for the mobile device, and so I feel slighted by lack of response more acutely than here on my blog. My blog is also part-diary, for the inevitable best-selling memoir I'll get published someday. (hahahahahahaha. That idea comes to you courtesy of my former therapist)

I'm not sure that the medium of 140 characters is for me. That being said, I have made really great connections, and have opened up more than I ever thought I would. It's never been that I wanted to necessarily be anonymous from those who read my blog, but that I wanted to be anonymous from those IRL who would be offended by my ranting and spewing of feelings.

I guess I'll go back, maybe? I'm not sure. I just know that I'm not quite ready yet.




9 comments:

  1. I know many people have problems with twitter, but I adore it. I feel like it's brought me deeper connections with people than my blog because they're present more often and talk about their lives outside of IF more too. It is hard to keep up with, for sure, but I just roll along with a private list of people who I try harder to keep up with than others (yes, you're on it!). I hope you come back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I have very mixed feelings about twitter as well, and I generally feel better when I'm NOT on it (though like T - there are sometimes deeper, more fluid convos that are very interesting on there, so...?).

    I hate writing something I think is impt and nobody responds. It's hard not to feel hurt/ignored/unimportant when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never used twitter, either myself or to keep up with anything, I kind of like it that way. I certainly don't need another time suck...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I "technically" have a twitter account, but I never use it - it just cross posts my blog posts. I can't seem to "get" twitter, and I think I only have room for one social media device in my head (facebook) - not even instagram or pinterest really. I think maybe I just have a small mind - or my mind is too full of other stuff. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a twitter but there's no IF people that I follow or that follow me. I'm very generic with my following. I also don't post much because I usually only scroll through what others are saying. I'm not much on that outlet. I prefer blogs and commenting because I have a blabber mouth and 140 characters is just not enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do the Twitter thing, but it's not my favorite. 140 characters or less feels so restrictive to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I <3 Twitter, but you probably know that ;-) It can be a frustrating medium and it has been interesting to observe how "close" relationships I have had on twitter ebb & flow over the years. Come back! But you have to do what feels right to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am NOT a fan of Twitter. I left a long time ago, well over a year, and haven't looked back since. I sometimes feel like maybe I'm missing out by not being on there, but mostly it's a positive thing for me to stay away. I had my feelings hurt there in ways I haven't anywhere since I was in middle school. I just... the cons absolutely are not worth the pros for me.

    I sometimes wonder if I would feel differently there if I could actually stay logged in most of the day, but as a teacher, I just can't keep up. I always felt left out there, even when people weren't intentionally trying to leave me out (and sometimes they were and that was really, really hard).

    Anyway, I understand your ambivalence about it. I hope you find a balance that feels right for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like Twitter but I know I'm sometimes a bad Tweeter. I often am only able to sign on during my commute to and from work so often by the time I can get on the @s to me are 9+ hours old so I feel weird sometimes jumping back in and responding to conversations. I need to get better at that I suppose so I don't leave people feeling like I don't want to engage.

    ReplyDelete