Sunday, February 10, 2013

She's Direct, Bless Her Heart

At dinner with a friend:

Her:  "Doesn't getting a baby fix it?"

Me:  "That's a lot to ask of a little baby"

So, basically, we had an hour long conversation in which I tried to explain why getting a baby doesn't "fix" infertility.

Pretty sure she didn't get it, given that all she sees is how amazing my husband is, how cute my baby is, and shouldn't that take care of it?



6 comments:

  1. You know, I was not able to get pregnant either due to unexplained infertility and ended up building a family through adoption. If it weren't for that infertility, I wouldn't have the beautiful children I have today. In a way, I'm grateful for the infertility because it brought me to the point I am at now. I hope you can find peace with the infertility at some point, for the sake of your child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice dig Anonymous. I have a counter to your argument. It is not my baby's job to heal my broken body and mine. So, for the sake of my baby, I will not ask such an impossible task.

      Delete
  2. If that really were the case, therapists would go out of business and adoption agencies could charge twice the amount and still be covered under insurance since it's a "cure."

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does take a while for the pain of infertility to lessen - I still get pangs now and then when I see women having their second and I'm just too old and late in the game for anymore.... and it makes me think that my son will not have a sibling to grow up with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!!! That sounds like every conversation I've had with my mom. She just doesn't get it. Yes I'm happier than I was before A came into our lives, but it doesn't take away the pain we went through for 9 years trying to build our family.

    Great comeback, and no it isn't our children's job to heal our broken bodies and hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your response to your direct friend, and to Anon. DenverLaura also has a terrific point!

    ReplyDelete