Monday, July 11, 2011

Tiptoing through Our Match

I've been remiss...  First and foremost, thank you so much for the kind comments about our placement!  I had no idea so many people pay attention to my blog, and it gave me the warm fuzzies to read every comment.  It's awesome to have so much support from the ALI community.

I haven't talked much about our match, mostly because it's so new and I've been trying to figure out what to say/not to say.  When our caseworker called me on the Thursday before we found out we were chosen everything she told us about Baby X's mother, C, and her situation made my heart jump.  This is adoption after all, it's never a good situation, however, it's the type of situation that I immediately thought, we have a really good chance at opening up without any reservations.  C wants to have regular visits every few months.  I hope that these visits evolve over time, and I would love for C to become part of our extended family.

Now, as far as our families go, I don't think they really  believe that we are as open to opening up the adoption as we say we are.  When we first told them that we weren't going to tell them anything about C and her situation, S's dad asked why we were being so "secretive" about her.  S retorted with the statement that Baby X should not hear the details of his mom's situation from anyone except us and her.  And then, S asked his dad if he had read the very short, very concise adoption book we gave to him.  Guess what his answer was?  Sometimes the things his dad says out of ignorance really drive me insane.  My parents just kind of go "huh" when I mention visits with C.  That drives me crazy too, but it's easier to ignore.

My friends have also asked some odd questions when I told them of the regular visits.  The most common question revolves around whether I'm ok with it.  I think that's odd, because I present the visits in a positive light.  Not to mention that we wouldn't be matched with C if we weren't open to seeing her.  And of course, our friends immediately ask what C's story is.  And of course I have to shoot them down too.  We aren't revealing anything about her, whether she's younger or older, her name, her family life, how Baby X came to be, nothing.  I figure that once you tell people about one detail, it's a slippery slope and the next thing you know you could give up the goods.  Besides, her story doesn't matter to anyone except Baby X.

I guess it all comes down to adoption being an extension of infertility.  Unless you've been through it, unless you've had to confront these tough questions, and make hard decisions, you have no fucking idea what it entails.  I didn't until we got into it.  I just get really annoyed that I'm trying to educate family and friends and I feel like anything I say tends to fall on deaf ears.

10 comments:

  1. I know the feeling! We've got a few months until the birth (fingers crossed that this all works) and we're still trying to figure out what we should say and what we shouldn't. It's an odd situation, and not something anyone gets unless they've already done this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree and everyone needs to do what is best for THEIR family...not for others :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am friends with almost all of our baby's birth family on F.acebook. I had an interesting conversation with my mom after birth mom and birth dad made comments on a picture about our sweet girl looking like "mom", meaning birth mom. I had no problem with it and explained that to my mom. I'm glad she brought it up so we could talk about it. I have high hopes for increasing everyone's comfort level with our open adoption. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some really interesting questions which bring up issues I hadn't even thought of. "Tiptoeing" seems the apt word to describe what you are doing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's amazing that you want to be so open with X's first mom. I mean, in all reality, she is a part of your family. I'm still SOOOOOO unbelievably happy for you and S. I REALLY REALLY am. :) He is the baby you and S were always meant to have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you have to stick to your ideals about what you think is right and everyone around you should respect that! That being said, Congratulations!!! I would LOVE to feature your success story on my blog especially now that I've dedicated July to everything adoption related and I don't get many adoption stories! So, here's the link and thanks so much in advance!!! http://stressfreeinfertilityblog.com/2010/01/17/calling-all-success-stories/

    ReplyDelete
  7. People seem to have preconceived notions about adoption (and open adoption in particular). I think they tend to follow along with these ideas no matter what new information is put in front of them. I truly hope that as time goes on the people closest to us (and you) really start to just settle in, accept things, and just go with the flow... Otherwise, we may just have to kick them in the teeth (or is that just me?). (-;

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, so hard. It has been a challenge to respond to people's questions without telling them anything and also not being snarky. Lately my response when someone asks about her mother, because that is almost always what they want to know (is she very young? what is her story?)is "We e are not sharing the details of our daughter's story but we know her first mom really loves her daughter and we really like her and we hope to stay in contact with her." People don't really have anything to say about that even though they seem a little surprised about the contact, usually I just get another question about how old she was to which I am currently responding that the average age of women placing their children for adoption is about 25 and then I try to steer the conversation elsewhere. For my Mom's part I know it seems strange that we are looking forward to contact with our daughter's first mom but to her credit she is just going with the flow saying she trusts our judgement and she will just take her cues from us (although it is not easy for her to wrap her head around it, which is okay).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am still just so giddy for you. It seems like you are walking the minefields well, keeping your son's well-being at the forefront.

    :-) Happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good job T! I get weird questions all the time, (having a son with CP) and the older he gets and the more he understands I see how insensitive people are to that....asking "What's WRONG with him?" right in front of him. It has taken time to cope deftly with constant queries and not just yell "What's wrong with YOU??" Great job and I am so over the moon for you and S. Amazing!!

    ReplyDelete