For the past few years I have been attempting container gardening out of half-wine barrels. It's had it's ups and downs partially because I have no idea what I'm doing, and Colorado's growing season is way too short. This year I'm going for peppers and tomatoes. S hates raw tomatoes so I grow cherry tomatoes for me. So far those are doing well and I've gotten a few ripe ones already. The peppers appear to be another story. It didn't get hot for a little while around here and the plants all look pretty puny. I was supposed to have a half wine barrel overflowing with succulent strawberries this year, but for the second year in a row the plants died over the winter. Ok, I admit I forgot to water enough and we had a really dry winter down in Denver (opposite of the front-range mountains, which got pounded).
The crowning glory in our back yard, however, is the 'arbor' that S built for our anniversary a few years ago, and the grapevine that provides some shade. We planted it 3 years ago. Look at it go!
A few years ago, I also planted an Easter Lily after it was done flowering. This was on a whim, and I had no hopes that it would survive.
So far, it comes back every year with 4-5 blooms. Success!
....and psst, don't tell our neighbors, but when their raspberry bush started coming over to our side of the fence I decided to train it. We might get a few raspberries this year too!
This whole container gardening thing is on my to do list. The "plan" is to build the containers this winter to be ready to go by spring. I will require a drip system or the whole thing will die...this much I know about myself. (-;
ReplyDelete