Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Why Did We Choose Domestic Adoption?

For us the choice was very simple.

We want a newborn, or very close to newborn and we wanted to retain some modicum of control.  Which, when you think about it, isn't really true, we're kidding ourselves that we're more in control adopting domestically than internationally.  But hey, it's my insanity reality.  Besides, I'm lazy.  I didn't want to deal with the dossier and embassies and visas or whatever the hell you have to do depending on which country you're adopting from.  I also didn't want to be in the position of having to travel once or even twice to another country to bring home a baby.  I like to travel...but the thought of booking with little notice and trying to figure out what you have to bring and then flying home with a baby who doesn't even know us?  Uh, makes my head hurt.

Another reason we chose domestic was to have a semi-open or open adoption.  We fall into the category of wanting to start with a semi-open and work at growing into an open adoption over time.  Who knows how it will end up but that's the hope.  It also helps that our adoption agency charges a flat fee to everyone in the domestic newborn program.  It's under $20k, and we'll be matched in-state.  It's about as easy as you can get IMO.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this! I love hearing about how others made their choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I love hearing why people decided to go the route they did...plus I think it helps those who are not in our shoes get it a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for answering the question--I am hoping the wait is not much longer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! We were originally looking internationally and I agree that the thought of traveling, maybe multiple times, freaked me out. We didn't know anything about domestic until recently, but I'm glad we are moving in this direction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are all sound reasons for making the decision to pursue domestic adoption. Of course, the only thing that really matters is that it is a choice that is comfortable for you.

    ~ICLW #18

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely give props to people who are willing to go through all the emotional energy it takes to adopt.

    I follow people who are adopting both abroad and domestically and it's always interesting to see the reasons why they chose to adopt from where they did.

    Happy ICLW! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there! Just dropping in to say hello again and to let you know I tagged you in a post today. I hope you can stop by and check it out.

    http://mom2reagan.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Easy" wasn't the word I would have chosen, but considering the trials of a friend of men who adopted overseas, it's appropriate. There were so other challenges that she had to go through developing a relationship with a child out of an orphanage. It was quite painful to her to watch him grow up from afar, how her heart ached for him to be in her arms.

    Thanks for the tag, I didn't get a chance to join ICLW this month, so I'll do that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel like I could have wrote this post myself!

    ICLW #49

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings, adoption is something we may be pursuing in the future and I love reading about how people made their decisions.

    Happy ICLW
    #100

    ReplyDelete