Monday, June 28, 2010

Perfect Moment Monday - Gardening

Our little backyard is stamped concrete.  This was something done before we bought the house and we can't bring ourselves to jackhammer up all that concrete to put down a little patch of sod.  Besides, S was ecstatic the day he sold the lawnmower and our water bill is unbelievably low.  To make the yard a little more inviting however he built an arbor over which we're growing a grapevine and we have several pots of flowers and half-whisky barrels for container-grown vegetables.  So far I've had some successes and some abject failures as I figure out what grows the best in small spaces.

Last night we enjoyed fresh picked swiss chard; one of the most successful crops so far.





7 comments:

  1. yummy...I am glad that even the hard ground is producing good stuff in the "sky" the arbor...how about a picture of that????? LOL

    happy Monday

    ReplyDelete
  2. We started our first garden last year. It went surprisingly well. There is nothing like picking basil and peppers right outside your door. The arbor sounds fantastic. I want a pergola somewhere in my yard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love swiss chard. And low water bills.

    Neither of which I've seen in awhile. ;-)

    I bet your arbor is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome! Love Swiss chard! I think you need to add some hops to the mix!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll take a pic of the back yard to show off tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on picking your Swiss Chard. I've also had great success growing yellow squash, zucchini, tomatoes, lettuce (leaf lettuce and romaine), peppers, and even broccoli in containers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We cut the size of our lawn recently and it cut down our water bill considerably.

    Congrats on your green thumb...and thanks for sharing your Perfect Moment!

    --visiting from Weebles Wobblog!

    ReplyDelete