1. We thought we had filled the checklist out conservatively. After reviewing it again last night, we're still comfortable with our answers so maybe we aren't so conservative after all.
2. We're No. 32 on the list. I guess I have to start my game over again, now I'll try to make it to April before asking for an update. heh heh.
3. We're actually going to be parents someday. I'm pretty sure that both of us were still thinking about becoming parents in some sort of nebulous fashion complete with unicorns and rainbows. This call brought us back to Earth.
4. I need to find a pediatrician! I have several potentials but I was thinking I could wait until spring. Apparently not.
5. We still haven't addressed the minor issues in our house that are supposed to be fixed by the time we have placement.
6. I need to keep better records of what I'm doing at work. Honestly, after telling my boss a few weeks ago that it was looking like we weren't going to have placement until at least next fall (and that still may be the case) I was going to feel like such a tool if I had to go traipsing into his office next week and say "Uh, so our baby is being born in about two weeks" Yeah, that would suck.
7. I need to stay calm if we get this type of call again. bwahahahahaha!
*whew* I'm tired.
It's so hard to say no to a potential situation, but you know what is best and what you can handle. I know from my point of view, the situations I don't feel comfortable with, there is someone out there who is better prepared and better able to handle than I am, and I wish them all the best. Maybe it was good to get a "fire drill" call, though? And see the light at the end of the tunnel, even if it may still be far away?
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine what a hard decision this must have been for you. But you are right, you WILL be parents one day. It is hard for us to really grasp that sometimes too - the wait really puts it in such a hypothetical place in our minds most of the time. So much to get ready for!
ReplyDeleteI'm guessing it was not easy to come to this decision, but it also must feel good having made it.
ReplyDeleteI'm curious what agency you are using. They go by #?
I'm sorry it wasn't a situation which you could say yes. Getting that call though can really make you rethink things. I know it did when we got one.
ReplyDeleteWe're with you still waiting for THE CALL. Trying to get our families to "get it" is a continuing struggle, too.
Aw, nuts! Although you made the decision to decline (which was giving someone else a PERFECT match), it is exciting to know you are high enough on the list to actually get a call like that! Woohoo! You're not the low man (and woman) on the totem pole anymore!
ReplyDelete