Sunday, August 9, 2015

Snippets about Baby Ears

- Tubes went into Baby Z's ears about a week ago. He was great the day of surgery, and then spiked a fever the following two days. One of those days was when gparents were watching the kids and S and I were on a much needed weekend trip by ourselves. See, Baby Z's fevers are sneaky. He's fine all day then they show up at night. We thought he was fine after waking up from the first one fever free and not giving any meds all day. So, we went ahead with our plan to play in the mountains. It spiked again that night as if on cue. Gparents were able to care for him and I felt more than a little bit of mommy guilt. Then I reminded myself that it takes a village and gparents are well equipped to deal with a fever that is just that. A fever with no other symptoms. When we picked up the kids, we discovered he also had two teeth coming in at the same time. So....

- You may wonder why we chose to leave town only a few days after surgery. Well, in retrospect we should have scheduled surgery for the following week, but were worried that the ear infection would come back before surgery could be done. So, we hedged our bets and went with the earliest date we could get. Good thing we did too, the doc said there was a lot of fluid and infection. 

- Baby Z is doing really well and seems to be hearing better. He's even starting to say words!

- I had been struggling with some depression symptoms in the weeks leading up to surgery. I also was completely exhausted the night he had the surgery. Like ready for bed at 8 kind of exhausted. Now that it's past and I'm feeling better overall, it seems I had situational depression related to dealing with his ear infection. My kid was sick and not getting better. That sucked. I didn't realize how much it was affecting me, but I was researching chiropractic care and wondering about alternative therapies. When I asked my chiropractor two days before surgery about it, his answer was, "my kids got tubes. Just get the tubes."  Goes to show I wasn't sold on it up to the bitter end. 

- Watching my kid come out of general anesthesia was heartbreaking. He was confused and screaming and inconsolable for a bunch of minutes. 

4 comments:

  1. Our son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis when he was 18 months old - long story short, he needed a colonoscopy. Having him go limp in my arms when the anesthesia hit, and watching the confusion and fear when he woke up still makes my stomach bottom out, but not nearly as much as it used to. Kudos to you for recognizing the related situational depression - hope you're feeling better now. Oh, and hurray for Baby Z saying words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After going through 4 sets of ear tubes (twice for each of the Beats) and a cholesteatoma surgery, I completely get where you're coming from. In some cases they recover so fast from these surgeries, but He-Beat also developed an infection with his last set that required an entirely different set of antibiotics. And both really struggled with anesthesia.

    Hang in there. And here's hoping that there are no more ear infections and you continue to see more benefits of Baby Z having better hearing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, that had to be so tough. I'm sure it will all be worth it though when he doesn't have to struggle with those recurring ear infections! Poor baby :(

    ReplyDelete