Two engineers get married, delay baby-making and get hit with the unexplained infertility stick. Eight years: multiple failed cycles; 3 failed IUI's; 1 long adoption wait and successful adoption (Baby X); 2nd long adoption wait, 1 failed placement, 1 failed match and finally 1 successful placement (Baby Z). This is my story.
Monday, April 13, 2015
#MicroblogMondays - A New Layer to Open Adoption
X's half sibling was born to his first-mom, and she's parenting. We've told X that she was going to have a baby who is his half sibling. I'm pretty sure he really doesn't grasp the concept given that according to him, his brother lives in our house (Baby A). But, I figure that we need to approach events like these with matter of fact talk no matter his age. Besides, we see C somewhat regularly, and I'm guessing we'll be meeting her baby as well.
There you have it. It's getting more complicated.
Don't know what #MicroblogMondays is? Check it out here
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I love how matter-of-fact you're being. I think it will at least not introduce extra complications into the mix.
ReplyDeleteAgreed with Lori! If only all relationships were so UNcomplicated ...
ReplyDeletePhew, definitely more complicated, but like the ladies above said, you're keeping it as simple as you can by just being direct about it now .
ReplyDeleteI think that's all you can do: talk about the complicated things in a non-complicated way until it makes sense.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely more complicated. My daughter (and future son) have 2 siblings that their birth mom is raising. I've definitely wondered more than once how we are going to cross that bridge when they are old enough.
ReplyDeleteTotally complicated. Wow. I imagine there are lots of feelings there.
ReplyDeleteso many feelings (and if I'm being honest, fears that she'll get overwhelmed and perhaps ask us to adopt again, which we are not prepared emotionally or financially to do)
DeleteI have a dear friend who is in similar circumstances. All they can do is talk about it. As you are doing.
ReplyDeleteOut of the blue the other day, Boo asked me if he had 2 mommies and 2 daddies. I was taken aback, but I said, yep, you do. Matter of fact.
ReplyDelete:) Occasionally X does things kind of like that. He's younger so not quite there, but I see it coming.
DeleteI know it's good to talk about these things early, but in practice it's odd since they don't really understand. I was telling E the other day about having two mommies and two daddies and she shrieked, "I have FOUR daddies! I have TEN daddies!"
ReplyDeleteYep! He totally doesn't get it, but on some level he does. He randomly mentioned that his teacher's belly was still big, but my belly was small. She had a baby in Dec and babysat for us a few weeks ago. It was weird that he brought it up after we had told him about C having a baby.
Delete