Thursday, February 27, 2014

Anxiety and Waiting

Two and a half weeks ago I talked to our caseworker because she had sent a weird cryptic e-mail.  She was trying to be neutral, but I'm so sensitive to any kind of hint, that I knew something was up.  I tried to wait for S to call her (because he's supposed to be the contact to take the pressure off of me), but alas, my own anxiety took over and I made the phone call.  I just had to know why she was asking what she was asking.

Turns out, someone has our profile right now.  I don't know details because I didn't want them as I don't want to get ahead of myself.  Our usual tactic has been to only get the phone call when we are chosen.  We don't want to know when we are being considered because then this happens:

  • I spend every day wondering if caseworker will call with a yes or no answer
  • 2.5 weeks go by with no communication and I'm a mess
  • S wonders what my problem is.  He figures we'll find out when we find out and why worry about it now?  (hahahahahaha) 
I finally got an update from caseworker earlier this week.  The update was exactly what I thought it would be....she hasn't gotten an update, and she doesn't know anything.  

I've learned my lesson.  Knowing this information has not made me more comfortable, it makes me, well, just as anxious as I was before making that phone call to ask why she was asking the questions. Maybe more.

There's nothing to do but wait.

6 comments:

  1. I would not deal with that well either. Hope you hear something soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, all of the waiting is the worst part of the ALI journey in some ways. Waiting to be matched, waiting to have it official, waiting during the 2ww, waiting to the 1st ultrasound, waiting for... whatever. It sucks because no matter what we do, we can't make time move faster. I'm hoping this is it for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waiting is by far, the hardest part of the whole adoption process. (Besides the failed match part, but still...) I kinda liked not knowing either, it was hard to think of anything else!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waiting is brutal! I used to hate just looking at my phone and seeing that blocked number and knowing it was the agency. (In the days, you could talk and drive, sometimes I couldn't even wait to pull over cause I just had to know right away.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be the exact same way. I am a terrible wait-er, and I just wouldn't want to know as well. Hopefully you get a call with good news soon though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So hard to wait and wonder about all the different possibilities that could be life changing. Hope you hear something definite soon!

    ReplyDelete