Thursday, June 27, 2013

Visceral

As I sit here shaking with rage and feeling like throwing up, I’m reminded that social media is full of minefields.  One of which I stumbled onto this morning.
See, I have an aunt who is a super-right wing “Chri.stian”, although I don’t consider her views “Chri.stian” in the slightest.  She has spent most of the time that I’ve known her trying to “save” the rest of us (apparently, the Chris.tian Orth.odox religion doesn’t make the cut in her world and we're all heretics).  I won’t friend her on F-B and generally don’t interact with her unless forced to. 

I also have a cousin who is in social work and who does a lot of advocacy for the L.G.B.T community. 

They are friends on a certain social media site and apparently like to engage each other.
I went to my cousin’s page to see what she had posted about the fall of D.O.M.A  (Hooray!) and stumbled upon something that shook me to my core.  My aunt, in response to my cousin’s post about the ruling, posted some drivel by some old white dude about the fact that marriage is defined in the Bi.ble, and it’s between a man and a woman to multiply, blah blah blah blah.  My cousin, then replied, does that mean that yours and Geochick’s marriages are invalid?  My aunt replied that there are countless examples of childless couples in the Bi.ble and some other drivel about the natural order of things and how childless couples fit in because we are here on the Earth to provide support for others and to be friends to kids and blah blah blah, or something. 

I AM NOT CHILDLESS
I have a child.  I am that child’s mother. 

The fact that my cousin even thought to bring me into this stupid discussion, makes me sick.  The fact that the validity of my marriage is being called into question on a public site by my family members makes me sick.  The fact that they are both insinuating that my son is not really my son by their discussion makes me sick. 
I want to respond to both of them, but as S put it, "You can't wade into sh*t and expect to come out smelling like a rose".  So, I sit shaking, sick to my stomach, wondering how I'm going to keep from lashing out at both of them when we see them for a wedding.  Which happens to be soon.
This is more difficult to shake off than it normally would be, because at this moment I am mired in grief.  I’ve been wading through days kind of numb.  I’ve had nightmares.  I have to face a family vacation that now feels like it’s not complete.   No one from my extended family has reached out to me.  They have reached out to my mother.  They have all talked to her.  Not a peep to me.  My family (and it turns out S’s family) is a textbook case in triangulation for all life events that are difficult.  Do you have any idea what it’s like to hear your mom say that she and your mother-in-law cried on the phone together because they feel so bad for you, yet you don’t even get a hug from either one of them?   Or to hear that all your aunts talked to your mom about your situation and how horrible it is?  Nary an e-mail, card, or phone call to me.  The one who is going through hell.

10 comments:

  1. OMG! I'm shaking for you! I have a few relatives who think like your aunt. I tend to ignore them, but it's really hard at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet your aunt doesn't spend a week out in a tent when she menses. I hate it when people pick and choose only the parts of the bible that fit their argument and dismiss others.

    It's sad that your family can't reach out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry that your extended family seems to be so afraid of saying the wrong thing to you that they're saying nothing at all. That just makes it even harder. :( Do you have any resources you could have your Mom email out to everyone to help ppl understand how to BE supportive in a situation like this where you're grieving the loss of your child?

    As for your aunt & cousin - GAH. I'm guessing your cousin only brought your name into it b/c of your aunt's crap words about the man & woman needing to multiply (by their own genes I suppose) and hopefully she was trying to make the point that YOUR marriage is valid and YOUR child is valid and if so, how can your aunt say that a same-sex couples marriage and child aren't valid. That being said, it's crap to bring you into that at all, especially on a social media site. I'm sorry. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry you are going through this without your family support. Not even an email! It isn't right at all. Out of all your family or in-laws, is there any one at all you could reach out to? Is it a case of they don't know what to say to you, so they say nothing at all? I can't understand that among all the relatives no one can show compassion as surely their lives have experienced loss and grief of some sort. I imagine your heart is breaking. A friend of mine who recently had a miscarriage told me that she now understood my grief was about. Not that I wanted her to experience that kind of heartbreaking loss, but it gave me some solace to be finally understood - even years later.

    As for the online exchange - that is RIDICULOUS - in my opinion and I would have to set them both straight. People have the freedom to say whatever they want to say but they have to understand that they have to be held accountable for what they say and the people they hurt along the way. To be voiceless in all of this will only fuel your anger, keep you up all night and make you sick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry that you are not getting the support you need from family right now. Many people don't know how to handle grief, especially something as a failed placement. They don't have an "attachment" to the baby like you did, so often times they go about it as if it didn't happen (ostrich syndrome).
    Little story: After our failed adoption my mom and my godmother came up to visit me. My godmother started telling me about a "recent" Parenthood ep about a couple adopting. I interrupted her and asked, "did the adoption fail?" She didn't answer me and went about her summary of the episode. I could see my mom going into full panic mode, trying to get my godmother's attention. The ep was about a failed adoption, and my godmother finished with, "I realize that was what you and M went through, and I just can't imagine going through that..." Yes, because tv always accurately portrays grief of that caliber.
    It's okay to be angry, and rage and cry. Talk about it with S, air out your feelings. It will come in waves, and a day will come when you can come up for air and breathe again.

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. S is a very smart man. That is a wise way to think, even if it's the harder way. How hurtful. I'm so very sorry. Big big hugs. Btw, I'm up for that margarita any time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh. I'm sorry for your grief. I'm even more sorry that you aren't getting the support you need and DESERVE. People suck. I'm so over the gay marriage "argument" by people like your aunt. I just don't get it. Does she have sister wives? Because that's how it was in the bible. Jacob had four, maybe five, wives. AND a wife that struggled with infertility.

    I hope with time things get easier for you as you wade through the grief. Losing a child cannot be easy, but in a situation like this where the circumstances aren't really understood by others makes it that much harder. Hugs to you. And vent away here. We get it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that really sucks. I'm so sorry you are having to deal with insensitive family members! We got a little of that from a few friends and it drove me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry that someone used you and your husband as fodder for an argument! Even more so that they got it wrong. They definitely should have left you out. I am also sorry about the failed placement and lack of support. I could never believe how people couldn't even just say I'm sorry.
    Know that there are those out here thinking of you.
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laughing at what Denver Laura says.

    The visceral reaction is understandable -- both to the FB conversation and to people not being able to actually comfort you and instead talk with each other about comforting you.

    XOXO. Suckage on both fronts.

    ReplyDelete