Sunday, February 5, 2012

How Infertility Has Effed Up My Head


I admitted something to S that I hadn’t fully processed myself until recently.  I realize I had been saying all along, since the decision to adopt, that I am fine without getting pregnant.  Once we got into the homestudy, I even went back on birth control for some time to get some emotional distance from TTC.  At that point, S was thinking more rationally than I was, and thought that if I got pregnant, well, then we would be pregnant.  If it meant dropping out of the adoption pool, then so be it.  That attitude helped me shake off my irrational behavior, and was the reason why I stopped taking birth control (which really seemed silly considering I couldn't get pregnant when I wanted to).  I even stopped paying attention to my cycles during our wait, at least part of the time.  However, after we brought Baby X home, everything changed.  Somewhat unconsciously, I started to make sure that certain things would not happen around my ovulation days.

I've been actively preventing pregnancy.  Pretty silly coming from an infertile woman, isn't it?

If I try to imagine what it would be like to finally see a positive test, I don't think I'd be happy.  I think I'd be furious that it didn't happen 5 years ago.  I'd be upset that I became "one of them", the pregnant-after-adopting woman.  I don't want to be the reason that a woman struggling with infertility wants to strangle the person sitting across from the table during one of these statements "I know this woman who was infertile, adopted and...."  Obviously, this is something out of my control, and logically I know I’m not supposed to care about what others say or do when I’m not around.  (not to mention I sound incredibly narcissistic)  However, I have tried to educate those in my circle several times and this is what I end up with:  An ex-friend who deems me too negative for speaking on such subjects, and a friend who just two weeks ago pulled the maybe you’ll get pregnant card when I revealed that we have been considering adopting a second time.  I can already hear the I-told-you-sos should some miraculous pregnancy occur.  Ugh.

S's reaction to my pronouncement was a little surprising to me.  Since he has been the rational half of through the whole infertility ordeal, I assumed he would continue with this mindset.  I thought we’d be having the exact same conversation we had during the wait, and I would come out convinced to shed my irrational fears and go forth tossing the mental calendar out the window.  To my shock, he seems to be on my side of the fence and didn’t try to convince me to let it go.  His attitude seems to be that we’ve made a decision, we’re probably going to move forward on a second adoption, and pregnancy would make our somewhat complicated family dynamics even more complicated.  There are plenty of people who have biological children as well as adopted children, so really, I wonder if this mostly comes down to how we both feel about infertility.

I know I have a lot of complicated emotions always bubbling under the surface, only to erupt every now and then when I get unexpected pregnancy news from others.  It goes to show that the infertility scar doesn’t really go away, or, at the very least it fades quite a bit slower than I thought it would.  By my twisted logic, if I’m doing something to prevent a pregnancy, then I’m in control, and feel in control.  It’s not even the loss of carrying a child and feeling all the changes to my body, or producing a life.  It’s about the plumbing flat out not working for me, when it seems to work perfectly fine for the vast majority.  It’s my competitive nature coming out, knowing that an acquaintance is going to be giving birth to her second child sometime this summer, while S and I sigh, dig our heels in, grit our teeth and trot back down to the police station for fingerprinting, get physicals, and update our homestudy to get back on the list.  By the time she’s giving birth we will be number 50-whatever and buckling down for another long wait.

Hilarious, isn't it?  I'm irritated by having to go through the adoption process again, and irritated thinking that my reproductive system may start working and thus screw up our family planning.  What can I say?  "Internally conflicted" should be my middle name.

6 comments:

  1. Oddly enough, I prayed I would be one of those women. Cause I was out of time, out of money and out of nerve to even think about pursuing another adoption. Even after a procedure to shrink my fibroids, my husband was terrified that SOMEHOW I'd get pregnant and it would end horribly due to risks of miscarriage for women my age or whatever else. I couldn't even fantasize about it anymore. Even our adoption process was so onerous that I could barely talk about it for fear of sounding like a Bitter Betty. I mourned again because I felt like the freedom and joy to have another child in our lives was lost to us. So I've just built of list of things to say when people ask me, "Oh, aren't you going to have another one?". Infertility does leave a lasting scar, and every now again it stings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a three month old baby and will be finalizing in a few months. I'm on birth control despite the fact that we were told we're "impressively infertile". I don't want to be one of those people, either. It still hurts a little to go to baby showers, and I don't want to make anyone else who is infertile have a harder time. I understand, even though it is hard to explain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "Infertility scar" is always with us, isn't it? Well, many of us anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know that I've ever commented here, but this post really resonated with me because I know exactly what you mean. I don't blog anymore, but I still read here and there. My husband and I tried for about 6 years and did some fertility treatments before jumping off that ship and pursuing adoption. We never knew exactly why we couldn't get pregnant, but never went as far as IVF. I hated treatments. I can relate to your competitive nature. It always pissed me off how easy it was for others. I never expected to have issues.

    We adopted our son at two days old through domestic infant adoption. He is three now. Once I became a mom, infertility woes slowly faded as you said. Right before our son turned one, I found out I was very unexpectedly pregnant. I had an ectopic back in the infertility days and worried it was that again. We went to the doctor to find out that it was the real thing. Even saw a heartbeat. This completely rocked our world. Just days before the positive test, we had talked about how our family of three was perfect. I was happy and full and then it happened. I was not excited to see a positive stick like I always thought I'd be. I was even a little angry, wondering why now, when I'm perfectly happy? I felt so cliche. My husband adjusted a little faster than I did and even started to get excited. We started talking about the future and even told our families (which was just as fun as I always imagined). A few weeks later we went back for another appointment to find out the baby had stopped growing. I had a D&C the next day. Again our world was completely rocked. Why did we have to go through that? I didn't desire pregnancy anymore and then I got teased with it. It was a very difficult time, almost as difficult as infertility itself.

    Eventually we made a plan to let nature take it's course and if nothing happened by a certain date, then we would take permanent measures. I had the Essure procedure last summer because I don't want to chance another miscarriage either physically or emotionally. There are days that I wish we could easily add to our family like others are able to do, but I don't regret "getting fixed." Like you said, it put me in control and I no longer have to wonder when my period is a little late. I felt almost like a phony having the procedure done since there was such a slim chance of pregnancy anyway, but I needed the peace of mind. I'm back in a good place again after lots of introspection. We're not pursuing adoption a second time and there are days when I kind of wish we could give our son a sibling, but most of the time I just look at him and think about how lucky I am.

    I'm not giving you advice, just letting you know that I get it. Good luck as you get ready to go for round two!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, boy, do I understand this: " if I’m doing something to prevent a pregnancy, then I’m in control, and feel in control."

    Wonderful post for Creme.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here from the future via Time Warp Tuesday! Though our circumstances are different, a lot of this still resonates with me. Especially this,

    "I know I have a lot of complicated emotions always bubbling under the surface, only to erupt every now and then when I get unexpected pregnancy news from others. It goes to show that the infertility scar doesn’t really go away, or, at the very least it fades quite a bit slower than I thought it would. By my twisted logic, if I’m doing something to prevent a pregnancy, then I’m in control, and feel in control."

    So true. Part of why my husband and I decided to make our decision to be done trying to expand our family final was that I needed that sense of control. As ironic as it is, I couldn't live in limbo wondering, hoping and/or fearing an unexpected pregnancy, no matter how unlikely that might have been. After experiencing IF, SIF and/or loss, emotions are definitely more complicated as you say and I realized for my sanity and the good of our family it was time for us to move on.

    Heading back to the future to see where you are in your journey towards adopting another child literally and emotionally.

    ReplyDelete