Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Comments and Stats....What to Think?

There's been a lot of discussion regarding commenting over the past couple of weeks.  I have to admit I'm not the best commenter.  I blame it on using my phone to read most of the blogs and it's difficult to use it on comment boxes.  I can't tell you how many times I've tried to comment, it wouldn't go through and I gave up.  I always think I'll get to them at night, but I barely have time to eat, get ready for the next day, keep the house sort of clean and exercise.  Because I'm so bad at commenting, I try really hard not to take it personally that I don't get very many comments anymore.
...and then I looked at my stats.  They have plummeted since June when we brought Baby X home.  I haven't lost followers, but it appears that my posts aren't being read.  I don't know what to make of it.    Maybe it's just being in transition from waiting to mommy and trying to find my footing.  Except that I thought I transitioned pretty well.  Maybe others don't think so.  Maybe I need to be more active, except I can't stay up until midnight catching up and blogging. 
I'm not really sure where to go from here.

8 comments:

  1. I always read your posts, but I sometimes just don't have the time to comment (or my iPad won't let the comment through).

    My comments and stats have also plummeted since we brought Cadet home. For a while it upset me, but I realized that many of my readers are still dealing with infertility or living child free. For those readers, it may be difficult to read about a baby.

    Since I do feel like I need to be active in the online community in order to stay sane, I try to carve out 30 minutes a day to read (and hopefully comment) on blogs or read articles or just connect with the greater world. Sometimes Cadet is just happily playing, and I'll grab my iPad to do a little reading.

    No matter what, we need sleep, exercise, and have chores. So, it's a tricky balance. I hope you find yours soon! Please don't close your blog though, I really always enjoy reading about your life with Baby X.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read posts in google reader a lot and only comment when it seems relevant, so people might be reading but it isn't reflected in your stats. That said, I have noticed a drop in comments in my blog since having E. I figure people probably feel they have less in common with e now that I've crossed over.

    Also commenting with my iPad is a complete PITA as blogger is very finicky with the iPad, so I find myself commenting less.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that I've been reading your blog for awhile (lurking I guess) but since our son was placed with us in Oct I have a hard time keeping up with all my reading...and my blogging...maybe things just happen in cycles. My stats have gone down too since I moved from wordpress to blogger.

    godwillfillthisnest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your reply! I think you're probably right, things move in cycles.

      Delete
  4. I still read your posts! I just have the same problem of always being on my phone. And I don't even want to think about not writing my own posts in months, even when I have stuff I want to share. This new mommy just doesn't have the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me, the purpose of my blog has changed over time. Initially it was to communicate with my family about my newborn. Then it became a way to engage with other PAPs when we were adopting. Somewhere in there facebook took off and a lot of the interaction with my online freinds shifted to there. I don't get as many comments anymore either, and I'm also not really sure what to do with my blog...I've been at it 5 years and just don't feel super motivated to blog that much. The the blogging I do is for *me* now, which gives me permission to blog and not obsess over whether anyone is reading it. Sort of a journal with pictures, I guess. I hope you figure out your blog 2.0. I do think a lot of people drop off once the "drama" of adding a baby to the family winds down. And people are lazy/busy - I don't comment as much as I should either!

    ReplyDelete