Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Flabbergasted. And Not in a Good Way

I was kicked off my book club.

Seriously.

I e-mailed my connection to the club (Nice Girl) because there had been a flurry of e-mails a few weeks ago about setting up another meeting.  I should back up.  I wasn't on the original list of invitees.  Nice Girl had noticed that I wasn't on the list and assumed it was a mistake.  So, she added me and I saw the replies coming through.  Nothing looked out of the ordinary.  Cut to today when I realized I don't know the date of the meeting and it should be occurring sometime soon.  I e-mailed Nice Girl and here is her reply:


Hey Geochick!
We had book club last week.  Sorry to be the one to break the news to you but we have decided to continue book club without you.  Seems there are some clashes in personality with you and some of the other girls.
Sorry!
-Nice Girl

 It may be important to note that I had no inkling of "personality clashes".  I have no idea what she's talking about.  I mean, I was the outsider to a group of friends, but the club only meets every few months, not a big deal to me even though I'm the one who has to sit through their chatter about matters I know nothing about.  Whatever, I can't even speculate what happened.  All I know is that I feel like a chump, dense and stupid.

Has this ever happened to you?

p.s.  Yes, I said I wouldn't be back until I had something nice to say but this was too much to stuff down and try to ignore as I've been doing with my frustrations related to the holiday season/waiting.

15 comments:

  1. What?! That has to be the lamest thing I've heard all week. Talk about being passive-aggressive...I always thought having "differing" personalities in a book club was a plus. That way you get all sorts of different perspectives.

    I tell you, if you lived closer I'd form a book club with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird! Argh--women! I think you should find an all-male book club. I bet you'd have more fun. LOL!

    As a side note DH belongs to a male/female writing group and you would not believe the cattiness among the women of the group. He's ready to stop going altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is crazy!! I wish I lived closer to you also. I need a good book club!

    Are you going to ask her what happened? This is bizarre!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I can't imagine handling something in that way (from the club's point of view). Hopefully, these are not people you have to see on a regular basis in other situations. I don't know how I would respond when I saw them again.

    I hope you can find something else to help pass the time. I wonder if there would be some way to do an online sharing of thoughts as a book discussion?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Sooz! How lame! I am so sorry! I would love to have a book club with you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow....just wow!! That is crap & so immature of whomever not to say anything to you...to just do this-VERY high school!! Im sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes! Do you know nice-girl enough to ask her to elaborate? I mean, maybe not to mention names, but incidents or what 'clashes'? This would bother the hell out of me too. Sounds like you are too good for them anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doesn't sound like a book club you want to be a part of!

    ReplyDelete
  9. KT - Yeah, it's just I really had no idea I was such a negative presence that they can't stand me.

    Suzanne - I did ask for elaboration....so far *crickets*

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMFG! I would be so hurt too. Looks like you don't need anyone from that group hanging around anyway. Forget them. Their loss. Maybe you should start your own book club here on your blog? I would participate!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. Sorry you have to deal with this too!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG what mean girls! Please please join our book club - we welcome women with personalities! I will send you the evite when I send it to the rest of the group.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So, my over-analytical-have-to-figure-out-what-went-wrong-self has been in overdrive the last day or so. It is partly my fault. I think I unloaded way too much at the last meeting I went to. Hey, you ask me about adoption/infertility and I'm off and running. I'll guess I had done that one too many times not realizing that these people aren't really my friends and really don't care. But, when half the club doesn't read the book so there's not much to discuss and wine is involved, then what else happens? Well, they talk incessantly about the "Bachelor" *blech* and all I have to talk about is my overarching, overwhelming infertility journey. They are all younger than me, not trying to start families, just getting married...yeah, it wasn't necessarily a good fit. I just didn't realize how bad a fit. Damn, I really wish I had been the one to leave. I can be so damn slow sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ...and to add on to that - it's a learning moment, right? I need to perfect the "I'm doing great!", fake it more often, and learn to be brief with answers. Weirdly enough, I realize I don't carry on too much with my real-live friends, just people I think I have to educate. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seriously?!? I'm so sorry. Right away I'm going to have to dislike them on your behalf because they'd rather talk about "The Bachelor"...I DETEST that show. You could always do the "Life From Scratch" book club with me (Lavender Luz is hosting) :)

    ReplyDelete