I operate from the glass is half-empty perspective. It used to make me feel bad that I wasn't positive and happy all the time, especially when other people pointed it out. I finally know why I'm not happy and positive all the time, and it has to do with a combination of brain chemistry and the way my parents treated me. I may never get to the glass is half-full perspective, but I at least can get to a place where life seems neutral. At least that's the goal.
To that end, I'm breaking in a new therapist. This therapist was recommended by my therapist who moved out of the country. My first visit with Dr. D went well. What's not fun is having to hash through all my family history again, and I didn't even get to the point where she has a good view of what's going on. The second visit was much the same and she seems to be reserving the right to decide that my mom, while oblivious and not attuned to me, may not actually be narcissistic. I know that there is a spectrum, and my mom is not full blown NPD, but I think she has many traits. Anyway, that seems to be the sticking point right as Dr. D tries to figure out how it would be best for me to deal with my mom. Luckily, I have a couple of recent writing examples to share with Dr. D that will hopefully give her insight into how my mom operates (things my mom has written to me). After the second visit, I e-mailed my previous therapist to see if I can get records transferred. I don't know if they typically transfer them around like medical files, but it would be nice to try to get past this part as quickly as possible. Therapy is expensive, and I'm hesitant to claim insurance this time around because at some point in my career I'll likely be getting security clearance. The two years that I went to my first therapist will come under scrutiny, and I don't know if it's the worth the financial break to have to explain why I went back for however long this round will take. The attitude toward mental health in this country sucks. I'm not going to therapy for anything other than to learn how to overcome my upbringing, and to become a better person/wife/mother/daughter/colleague, yet it will be a subject in the future when it comes to my job.
I hope this round of therapy helps me to get to a point that I can deal
Um, first off, that's crazy that your job has any kind of access to your medical files like that. WTF???? How did I not know that was possible.
ReplyDeleteAt any rate, I hope this new therapist clicks for you and is helpful! <3
Security clearances man, they try to suss out your weak areas. Obviously the higher clearance you get, the more they scrutinize. I probably won't get that high but it's something to consider.
DeleteI feel like I could have written than entire paragraph on negativity.
ReplyDeleteI've also felt penalized by the positive steps I've taken to take care of myself mentally and emotionally over the years. It's a shitty way to feel and you're absolutely right that our attitude toward mental health support sucks. Pisses me off.
Heh. Glad I'm not the only one!
DeleteTwins! I'm totally glass-half-empty. I'm okay with that though and am trying to become more "positive." It is what it is and it's taken me about 25 years to feel fine about that.
ReplyDeleteAs to mental health in this country I totally agree. Seeing a therapist for any reason other than infertility or the death of a close family member would have precluded us from adopting from Korea. And it might very well impact my husband's job. Especially after the latest suicidal pilot plane crash. :-/
Oh right! Like that instance makes a statement about the effectiveness of treatment. So lame.
Delete